The group led by Director Vicky Mendoza (PIA-RO 4-B) and Director Aida Naz (PIA-RO 5), was welcomed by Acting Mayor Florence Oliver B. Pascual and the rest of the LGU family. In his message, he discussed some historical tidbits of the town particularly its former cityhood and how the LGU is working to redeem it. He also mentioned how the caravan is of massive support to the tourism industry in the municipality as it serves an effective venue for the recently discovered potential tourism spots.
After the short program, the group was ushered to the Spanish-colonial Sto. Domingo De Guzman Church which, in itself holds a lot of historical value. The guests were given brief history of the place by Mrs. Profetiza Daniel and Mrs Cherilyn Corpuz, both members of the Municipal tourism Council. Firstly, it is the seat of the Diocese created by Pope Clement VIII on August 15, 1595 till it was transferred to Vigan, Ilocos Sur in 1755. Miguel Buenavides, O.P., the founder of University of Sto. Thomas was the elected bishop to the diocesan home in Nueva Segovia.
The guests were in no doubt at awe with the impressive structure of the church which is clad in red bricks. And it is also worthy to note that although its interior already underwent several restorations, the materials used in the exterior of the Church are the same ones to when it was built in 1581.
The group also went to see the centuries-old Evangelization Cross, one of the oldest in the region, which overlooks the mighty Cagayan River. Right now though, the area is under renovation, hence the slight inconvenience. They were then led to the Tocolana Ruins, the former site of the Tocolana Church, as well as the Hospital ran by friars during the Spanish Colonial era. The Ruins has just been recently discovered and restored and was launched last August 2016. The guests couldn’t help but gasp to its scenic and serene beauty.
After the quick tour, they were all wearing their appreciative smiles. Ms. Angely Mercado, the coordinator of the caravan said they were very overwhelmed with how they were welcomed in the municipality.